Dean's locale:

Tin Can Bay, Queensland, Australia

Sunday, February 3, 2008

1950's Gibson P13 pickup

Well, it's not every day you get to see the internals of a pickup from the 1950's. This is a Gibson made P13 single coil pickup. It came off the Harmony lap steel guitar that I received this week. Harmony and Gibson swapped parts here and there during the rough times, when they had resources that each could benefit from. This pickup features on quite a few Harmony models. (And if you look closely at a few old archtop bodies, hmmm, Harmony, or Gibson? How does THAT change your perception on construction and materials quality difference between the "cheap" and expensive brand?!)
My lap steel arrived with no noise. I opened it up, and there were no wires, at all... I wonder if that had something to do with it. There were not even any wires attached to the pickup. A quick test of my pickup had me pronouncing it DOA.
It took some opening; there was a strong weld of solder on each side of the case, and my 30W iron struggled to do the job, since the heat was being soaked up by the entire case. I got in though, and saw both ends of the copper winding loose. I soldered those to the respective terminals, and she is alive!! As you see, measures about 8.8k on the meter.

Enjoy the pictures, you will probably never have this chance again :)

No comments: