Dean's locale:

Tin Can Bay, Queensland, Australia

Sunday, January 13, 2008

1964 Harmony H14 Bobkat



I'm slowly working through my guitars and cleaning them up. Today's lucky victim was this little Bobkat.



You'll notice the similarity between this and a Silvertone I have posted in another blog. Essentially they are the same body and neck. I think Harmony was going for a copy for Fender's Musicmaster for the single pickup model, and the Duosonic for the dual pickup model, possibly.
The neck is short scale, so it plays like water. Action is easily adjusted by the turn wheels on the bridge. The Dearmond Gold Foil single pickup is very nicely located, kind of central to where the two would be in the two pickup model, I really like the sound there, these pickups are just wonderful.
You may think it has limitations to sound variety... well, I guess it depends what you like. I like simplicity. I don't use effect pedals. I plug a guitar into a tube amp, and turn it on (although I do use my vintage Ibanez Tube Screamer on occasion.) A simple circuit in a guitar is music to my ears. The one switch here that you can see is a tone cut, which behaves the same as the switch on the H42's and H44's. Essentially it bypasses the tone pot completely, and the output is what it would be if the tone pot was wound all the way up. So, I can wind the pot down slightly to muddy up the sound when it is in circuit, then flick the switch to open it up instantly for a lead solo, for example.
This is a joy to play, a very under-rated little gem.

No comments: