Dean's locale:

Tin Can Bay, Queensland, Australia

Monday, January 21, 2008

1964 Harmony H17 Bobkat

If you've followed my posts, this is another variation in the Harmony Bobkat family. This one is marked as 11/27/1964 production, and is badged as an actual Harmony.



It sports two Dearmond gold foil pickups, and has a simple whammy tail. I have to say, the neck position pickup is still my favourite on these. The action is a little higher on this one than some I have, but it still plays nicely. This won't be kept in 'inventory', so I am not going to mess with the neck adjustment - since it is nicely playable, I will leave that up to another owner if they choose to tweak it. The Dearmond pickups are glorious, and the sound from this thing could rival anything from the era that you care to stack it up against. These are fun little guitars!
This one had its tuners replaced when I bought it; vintage enclosed strip USA Grovers, which should return a few bucks. I found some NOS tuners for it, but they don't fill the holes left by the Grovers. Slight flaw here, but again, since it's not going to be mine long term, a new owner may choose to replace the tuners again.

No comments: